(GRR) activity:
1. To me, argument is defined as people with different opinions or views that don't agree with each other about a specific topic. In everyday conversation, arguments are mainly where two or more people don't agree about a certain thing and they are trying to prove that they are right. In an academic setting, I think argument is used to get different opinions and views about a specific topic heard. In my opinion, the difference between the two is that in an academic setting, arguments should be conducted in a positive and constructive manner, whereas in everyday conversation, seem to happen in a variety in different ways.
2. I think argument and conversation are closely related because in order to argue, there has to be some sort of conversating going on. I believe that arguments can be conversational because during a conversation between two people, for example, they can be having a conversation about something, then have different opinions or views about a specific topic and they can have a positive and constructive argument over the issue.
(QD)
1. According to Greene, the role that reading plays in the kind of writing you will be asked to do in college, is where research as conversational inquiry, where an issue and situation contribute to framing a problem. Researches seek to generate new knowledge in a social process, not just to collect information.
2. I believe that Greene quotes this again because he's really trying to get his point a crossed that arguments and conversation are closely related. The main point of this extended metaphor to show how coming into a conversation late and trying to assume what the conversation is about as it continues and how it causes an argument for assuming what the conversation is about. The way it presents writing is showing how conversation and argument are closely related and how one can lead into the other. It may challenge how close argument and conversation really are.
3. Framing is basically like setting up the main points for the story in a writing. Framing is simply a metaphor for describing the perspective from which the writer presents their argument. Greene believes that writers want people to see the world in one way. Framing allows writers to say what their opinion is in their own writing.
(AEI)
2. Yes, I believe that Greene's article represents itself as a "conversation". I believe that his audience for this article is aimed at college students. He frames his argument by first defining what both argument and conversation mean, gives a little background, then gets to the point of how they are related. I think that Greene practices what he preaches because in this article, he shows his opinion and gets his point acrossed, but he does it in a positive way.
I really enjoyed reading this article. I agree with Greene about conversation and argument being closely related myself because anyone can conversate and without "fighting", have an argument to prove their point or get their opinions heard and I believe he did a very well job of explaining all of this.
Paige,
ReplyDeleteGood job. I think you put some good thought into this, and your answer to QD 1 is right on the mark.
Please remember to summarize the readings at the beginning, but thanks for remembering to ad some personal thoughts at the end. I would like it if you could connect the ideas from the readings to your own experiences in your answers.
Dear Paige,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job describing how arguments and conversations are closely related. I agree that people with different views and opinions can have a conversation that may lead to an argument, a lot of conversations end in arguments.
Paige, this is really good and you can tell you tried hard on this. I agree with what you said about who Greene was aiming this article at students. Good job!
ReplyDeletePaige, I really like the way that you described framing, that it is a metaphor that describes writers writing in their own opinion or way. I also like how you explained the differences of arguments in different settings. good job!
ReplyDelete