Berkenkotter and Murray Summary:
In this article "Decisions and Revisions: The Planning Strategies of a Publishing Writer", Carol Berkenkotter focuses on ways that skilled writers planning, approaches, and revisions their papers. She uses Donald Murray in her experiment. She would observe him in ways that he gets started with his papers and his thoughts. In the article "Response of a Laboratory Rat--or, Being Protocoled", Donald Murray discusses his thoughts and the outcomes from the experiment. He was pretty surprised, as stated on page 232, on how much time he actually spends planning.
QD: 1-3
1. My impression is that he has a pretty good way of planning and how it's pretty similar to my writing style. I usually think about the paper and start brainstorming ideas before I even sit down to write the paper.
2. Murray's relationship with his audience seemed pretty complicated because he always thinks and connects with his audience without even really noticing that he does it. Unlike him, I don't usually think about my audience when writing papers.
3. Berkenkotter realized that planning and revising basically go hand-in-hand with each other.
AEI:
Unfortunately, I'm a pretty big procrastinator so I usually wait until last minute to write my papers. I'm usually in a pretty big rush so I just sit down and get all my thoughts out so I don't forget about them and then I start actually putting all my thoughts and research I do into a good writing. I don't usually do a lot of revising, which I should probably start doing.
MM:
One thing I have learned from them is that writing a good paper takes a good bit of time, planning, and revising. I need to start giving myself some more time and do some better planning so I can write better papers. I also learned that you don't have to just be sitting at your desk and ideas will eventually come to you. You can be out doing something and an idea may come to your mind that you can use.
I to am a big procrastinator and what i do to help is try and do a little each day to get what im thinking then and there down when i can.
ReplyDeletei agree with meta moments. this article really showed me that i have to start spending more time on my planing and revising so that i can actually think about what i want to say
ReplyDelete