Brandt Summary:
In her article "Sponsors of Literacy", Deborah Brandt discusses ways that people become literate. She conducts interviews from 1900-1980 with all sorts of people with different ages, backgrounds, and class rankings and compares their literacy based on those topics.
QD: 1,3,4
1. She defines literacy sponsor as "people, institutions, and circumstances that both make it possible for a person to become literate and shape the way the person actually acquires literacy." Literacy sponsors are knowledgeable, wealthy, and religious.
3. The sponsored sometimes "misappropriate" their literacy lessons because they only take into account the high and middle class people and not the lower class people with limited access.
4. She uses the term "stratified" to arrange the status level. She's referring to the stakes as something that limits or stops someone.
AEI:
Growing up, my main literacy sponsors were my parents, teachers, and sports coaches. My parents taught me the basics, the teachers taught me on a academic/scholarly level, and my sports coaches taught me all about teamwork and how to work together. I believe that these were all adequate sponsors and I can't really think of any other literacy sponsors that I wish I had access to.
Summary:
I understood pretty much everything in this article and I liked reading it. It made me think back on how I actually learned about literacy and it was sad to think about how lower class people don't get the same opportunity as middle/high class people to learn literacy just because of their social status.
I agree it isn't fair that the lower class citizens have a smaller opportunity to learn literacy just because their social ranking.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with what you said for #3. The fact that they single out the higher classes, is taking away from everyone else, which is not fair.
ReplyDelete