Wardle Summary:
In her article "Identity, Authority, and Learning To Write In New Workplaces", Elizabeth Wardle argues that many people do not fully understand how much identity and authority really effect and influence our writings. She gives a few examples of each to show how they both play a big factor in the way that we write. Towards the end of her article, she gives a pretty good example of a man named Alan and how difficult it was for him to learn to write in a new workplace because he wasn't familiar with their ways of writing.
QD: 3-7
3. I think the main reason as to why Allen didn't have any positive results is because he liked the way he wrote and the way he was and he did not want to change for the workplace, therefore making it so there wasn't really any positive results.
4. I agree, because there is a lot of things that people say before they really think about it. Sometimes this really gets some people in trouble because things that they say often come out the wrong way than they actually meant for it to come out, so if they would've thought about it before they said it, then it would've came out much better.
5. I would have to agree with Gee, because Alan was put into a new discourse community and didn't want to change his ways for them, therefore making himself not a part of the discourse community.
6. I do sort of see Alan as a tool, because he was mainly used for facts and data for Wardle when he clearly wasn't a part of this discourse community.
7. A time I can recall is my senior year of high school, my AP social studies teacher was a pretty respected guy in our school and one day he swore and yelled at one of my classmates and it really made our respect for him drop significantly.
AEI: 1
To me, when it comes to having authority in texts, people really depend on the fact that you're a credible source, therefore believe in basically everything your saying in your writing. When it comes to having authority in a discourse community, the people within the community look up to you and believe in basically everything you have to say. Whenever I write, I try my absolute best to make it as credible as I possibly can by showing sources to give myself some credibility. An example of myself being authoritative was my high school volleyball team. I have played volleyball since my 7th grade year all the way through my senior year and I was captain of my team 3 out of the 4 years I played in high school because people really looked up to me because I'm really big on practicing what I preached. I always strived to be the absolute best I could be, along with making the team better, and I believe that was pretty inspirational to my other teammates.
Reflection:
I really enjoyed this article because it was pretty relatable to students and it gave a great example of someone who didn't agree with the discourse community he was out into, therefore refused to change himself for anyone, which shows that he truly believes in what he was taught.
No comments:
Post a Comment